Any plans for a SP2010 Extractor

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Hi Kimo and team.

I really like this product.  Are there any plans for a SharePoint 2010 Extractor?

Regards,

Peter

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Hi Peter,

I am not part of the official Team. But out of curiosity: Why a extractor for MOSS 2010? I created a Importer for MOSS 2007 based on this codeplex project. And business may bring me to the action of porting it to 2010. Its a Windows form C# app so porting will not be so difficult. But yet I didnt have any request for extracting content from MOSS 2010. Nevertheless, in general it might not sound so difficult to built up an extractor.

Regards, -Michael.

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Michael

As part of an extranet project, we're looking to leverage this project to migrate data from an existing SharePoint 2010 document libraries that exists on an intranet to the new extranet.  The extranet will have more columns added to the document libraries.  Most of these columns are taxonomy fields and other metadata fields about the documents that allow us to use content query web parts to display related data.  I think our final solution will be to write our own import code, since we'll have to parse some of the metadata out of the filenames that exist.  For example, the current file name might look something  DocumentType_CustomerFacingBool_WhenToExpireDocument_DocumentDescription.pdf.  We'll parse the filename and then populate custom fields based upon this information.

...Peter