Does this code even build?

Topics: Developer Forum
Dec 10, 2007 at 1:23 AM
I tried both VS2005 and VS2008 and neither of them will build the latest source.

Does it build?

All I did was extract the zip (with paths) to a new directory. I get a bunch of errors like "method does not take 8 parameters) which sounds like the code is out of date.

Is there a build order? Even trying to build the 'sdk' project results in missing files, errors, etc.

What gives?
Dec 13, 2007 at 11:23 AM
No it doesn't build. I did get a couple of components to compile but in essence you are working on your own. Once you work out the order things have to compiled in, sort out the bizarre use of gacutil as a post compile task, sort out why gacutil doesn't register the resulting dll anyway, work out which projects are .net1.1 and which are 2.0, worked out what the differences are between projects with more or less the same name, I'm sure it would build. I still haven't gotten there yet though.

Ian
Dec 13, 2007 at 12:07 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2007 at 3:32 PM
Try the following:
Open the sps2003\sharepointextractor\GUISharepointExtractor\GUISharePointExtractor.sln
This has varios reference errors
Do file/add /existing project - sps2003\sharepointextractor\sharepointextractor.csproj
Do file/add /existing project - SPS2003\SharePointExtractor\GotDotNet.SharePointExtractor.Common\GotDotNet.SharePointExtractor.Common\GotDotNet.SharePointExtractor.Common.csproj

You may have to remove and readd the references to the two projects from the GUI. Hit F5 and it compiles like a dream - assuming you have microsoft.sharepoint registered on your machine.

They're all like this. In quite a few you will also have to correct the reference to the .snk file. There are several copies of this files which all appear to be the same so updating the reference to point to any one of them will work just fine.

For some reason some of the resulting DLLs will not register on the machines I've tried. Hence using project references avoids the problem.

What I don't understand is why the authors did not just make complete solutions which will compile without any messing around - for them it makes life easier as well.

Ian

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:31 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2007 at 3:32 PM
You also have to add the sharepoint.importexport.core project to this list of projects to be added.

If microsoft.sharepoint does not appear in the list of references when you go to add reference you will have to manually replace the reference in each case.